- About Oak Hill
- An Oak Hill Education
- Student Life
- Support Oak Hill
Weekly Ticker - September 4, 2016
Week of September 4, 2016
NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- School will be closed tomorrow, September 5, in observance of Labor Day.
- The test of Blackboard Connect, the school’s emergency notification system, has been rescheduled for Tuesday, September 6, at 4 p.m. At that time, you will receive an email, text and voice message, indicating that we are testing the system. Please remember that this is only a test and no action is required.
- The Moms in Prayer Kick-Off Brunch is this Wednesday, September 7, at 9:30 a.m., in the FPC Gathering Place. John Boyer, OHS director of development, will serve as our guest speaker. Please enter through the main school entrance at South Porch and check in before proceeding to the Gathering Place for the event. To RSVP, please reply to the electronic invitation that was emailed to you. We look forward to seeing you and sharing this morning with you.
- Moms, join us for the first OHS Professional Moms, or PMs, volunteer event of the school year. The PMs will gather this Wednesday, September 7, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., at the home of Melissa Tabb, 5628 Knob Road. The PMs will hang, price and organize the donated used uniforms and other items for the OHS Consignment Sale. All moms are welcome to attend, so grab a friend and enjoy a fun night of volunteering! If possible, please bring extra wire hangers and safety pins. If you have questions, please contact co-chairs Melissa Tabb, firstname.lastname@example.org, or J’Anne Cox, email@example.com.
- We are excited to host the first HOME football games on our campus in almost two decades this Thursday, September 8! The 5th-grade team will take on FRA at 4 p.m., followed by the 6th-grade team at 5:15 p.m. Both games will be played on the FPC Upper Soccer Field. The Kona Ice food truck will be parked near the Enrichment Center parking lot. Fan parking for the games will be available in the Enrichment Center parking lot, the parking lot in front of the FPC sanctuary or the tiered parking lot by Tyne Blvd. Parents, please remember that you are responsible for monitoring your child(ren) during the game. If you plan to utilize Explorations before attending the games, you must check-out your child before attending. Come out to support the Panthers and be a part of the home-field spirit. Go Panthers!
- Thursday, September 8, is Green Out Spirit Day! Students are encouraged to wear green apparel to show their Panther Pride. Costumes, green hair or face paint are not permitted.
- We will hold parent information sessions to provide an overview of the Singapore Math approach on Monday, September 12, for parents of students in 3rd and 4th grades, and Tuesday, September 13, for parents of students in kindergarten through 2nd grade. Both sessions will be held from 6 p.m. - 7:30 p.m., in the library. These parent information sessions will be led by Sarah Schaefer, the Singapore Math consultant who conducted training with OHS teachers. We hope you will attend to gain a better understanding of the Singapore Math approach.
- Please join us for a round table discussion and interactive demonstrations of the apps your kids are using on Tuesday, September 20, 6 p.m. - 7:30 p.m., in the Enrichment Center. Hosted by the Media and Technology Committee of the OHS Board of Trustees, this event will feature detailed overviews of the technologies that Upper School children are being exposed to and may be using every day, such as SnapChat, Instagram, Youtube and more. Come ask questions, join the discussion and, as a community of parents, get a better handle on the tech that is such a large part of children’s lives.
- We are pleased to support First Presbyterian Church’s volunteer efforts for a Habitat for Humanity Build, September 17 through October 9, to construct a home for a local family in need. This is a great opportunity to fellowship with other OHS parents and staff, and we hope you will consider volunteering at any of the upcoming build days. For specific dates and details, as well as to sign up, click HERE.
WEEKLY CALENDAR OF ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS
Monday, September 5
Labor Day—School Closed
Tuesday, September 6
Rotation Day I
Musical Theatre Workshop Rehearsal, 3 p.m. - 5 p.m., Choral Hall
K - 6th Grade Cross Country meet, 4:30 p.m., Currey Ingram Academy
5th and 6th Grade Football Practice, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m., Front Lawn
Wednesday, September 7
Rotation Day LL
Service Learning Board Meeting, 7:20 a.m. - 7:55 a.m., Upper School Art Room
Moms in Prayer Kick-Off Brunch, 9:30 a.m. - 11 a.m., FPC Gathering Place
Volleyball Practice, 3 p.m. - 4:30 p.m., FPC Gym
5th and 6th grade Football Practice, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m., Front Lawn
Thursday, September 8
Rotation Day O
Early Morning Art, 7:15 a.m. - 7:50 a.m., Lower School Art Room
K - 5th Grade Cross Country Practice, 3 p.m. - 4 p.m., Front Lawn
5th Grade Football vs. FRA, 4 p.m., FPC Upper Soccer Field
6th Grade Football vs. FRA, 5:15 p.m., FPC Upper Soccer Field
Friday, September 9
Rotation Day A
Musical Theatre Workshop Rehearsal (principals only), 3 p.m. - 5 p.m., Choral Hall
Volleyball vs. Lipscomb, 4 p.m., FPC Gym
Saturday, September 10
5th Grade Football vs. Grassland, 8:30 a.m., MBA Field 1
September 5 - September 9, 2016
Labor Day—school closed
Oven-fried chicken tenders
Low Country tomatoes
Sautéed broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes
Fresh tomato bisque
Sweet and sour stir-fried vegetables
Vegetable egg roll
Udon noodle soup
Garden meatless loaf
Mashed potatoes with gravy
Steamed corn with cilantro lime butter
Pepperoni or cheese pizza
Spinach and artichoke pizza
Steamed green peas with mint
Chicken noodle soup
Italian lemon ice
You are invited to begin joining your child for lunch on Monday, September 26.
10:50 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
10:50 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
11 a.m. - 11:40 a.m.
O, A, I and LL days
11:50 a.m. - 12:20 a.m.
11:50 a.m. - 12:20 p.m., Calhoun and Edgington classes
12 p.m. - 12:30 p.m., Storey and Bruyère classes
11:50 a.m. - 12:20 p.m., Storey and Bruyère classes
12 p.m. - 12:30 p.m., Calhoun and Edgington classes
O, A, K and H days
11:50 a.m. - 12:20 p.m.
11:50 a.m. - 12:20 p.m., Nickoloff and Derck classes
12 p.m. - 12:30 p.m., Davis and Smith classes
11:50 a.m. - 12:20 p.m., Smith and Davis classes
12 p.m. - 12:30 p.m., Nickoloff and Derck classes
O, K, H, I and LL days
12 p.m. - 12:30 p.m.
11:50 a.m. - 12:20 p.m., McGee and Braddy classes
12 p.m. - 12:30 p.m., Eads and Ward classes
Fifth and Sixth Grade
12:40 p.m. - 1:10 p.m.